At Simply Sustainable we develop tailored, robust strategies that are designed to guide our clients to achieve a step-change in their ESG and sustainability performance, creating long-term value and delivering positive impacts on people and the environment.
Impacts and benefits
- Development of an ambitious and robust, group-wide Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) strategy
- Agreed comprehensive ESG ambitions, KPIs and targets aligned to best practice sustainability frameworks and industry standards
- Placed internal and external stakeholder needs at the heart of WSH’s strategic approach to ESG
- Recommended ESG governance frameworks to facilitate the delivery of the strategy.
We were delighted to begin working with WSH, a hospitality business with a host of brands across the UK, Ireland and Europe. This was a fantastic opportunity to support WSH on their mission to develop the business’ first group-wide ESG and sustainability strategy.
From the outset of the project our strategic planning priorities were to acquire a thorough understanding of WSH’s heritage, company culture, external drivers, core operations and goals. Engagement with internal and external stakeholders was fundamental to developing a strategy which personified WSH’s rich heritage and culture. Over 300 stakeholders were surveyed or interviewed, including WSH and subsidiary brand senior leaders, customers and suppliers. This gave us broad-ranging, deep insights into the business priorities. Along with a business impact evaluation for each topic, we produced a comprehensive Double Materiality assessment.
The outcomes of the Double Materiality assessment were complemented with a review of the business’ external ESG drivers to determine the priority ESG topics and key objectives for the strategy.
In September 2021 we started working with the team at Simply Sustainable to create our group-wide ESG strategy. We really valued their expertise at each stage of the strategy development, as well as the professional and personable relationship we maintained throughout the project. We now feel confident that we have an ESG strategy that will put us in a strong position to negate the challenges and capitalise on the opportunities that the future holds.Andy Milner Procurement and Supply Chain Director, WSH
With the strategic framework in place and consideration of key external drivers and best practice we worked with the leadership team at WSH to co-create a comprehensive set of KPIs and targets with focused objectives. In order to successfully integrate the strategy, we produced a series of focused target action plans covering a period of 18-months. Since the conclusion of the project, we have continued to support WSH through a retained support agreement focused on the development and initiating of a new ESG governance and resourcing framework to ensure the effective allocation of resources and delivery of the strategy.
The final strategy builds upon WSH’s strong heritage of social and environmental performance across its subsidiary brands and the business’ commitment to become an ESG leader within their industry.
To find out how the Simply Sustainable team can help you on your ESG and sustainability journey request a call back here.
Sustainability training that empowers Asahi UK’s workforce
Asahi Europe and International established its landmark ‘Legacy 2030’ strategy, committing to running operations in harmony with nature and outlining the vision behind its sustainability efforts. Following the successful delivery of the ‘Planet Essentials’ learning module for Asahi UK’s Sustainability Steering Group in 2021, Simply Sustainable was pleased to have been chosen to work with Asahi UK again on embedding the ‘Planet’ pillar of the ‘Legacy 2030’ strategy across its UK operations. To achieve this, our team developed a tailored and technical training package to embed Asahi UK’s robust sustainability strategy across the UK employee base.
Impacts and benefits
- Provided foundation-level knowledge to non-sustainability professionals on the key environmental issues relevant to Asahi UK.
- Upskilled the Asahi UK workforce by communicating the Four Planet environmental targets relating to carbon, water, sustainable sourcing and circular packaging.
- Highlighted current projects and progress of the company, whilst facilitating discussions on future projects and opportunities.
- Aligned activity to Asahi UK’s corporate values and behaviours.
- Built employee confidence in the subjects of sustainability and environment, based on post-survey feedback.
- Maximised engagement in the business across their sites in the UK through in-person and virtual sessions, with an increase in environmental ideas and projects from attendees.
From our 12 years of experience in management consulting, Simply Sustainable knows that the core to transforming our clients’ businesses is integrating sustainability into all thinking and actions. This is only successful when people are informed, engaged and inspired. Recognising this, Asahi UK wanted to empower its employees to feel confident in the subject of sustainability, ESG, key environmental issues relevant to the business and the four environmental targets centred on the ‘Planet’ pillar of Legacy 2030.
Developed by our sustainability experts and qualified consultants, the programme guided participants through a professionally-delivered learning and development module by:
- Introducing the concepts of sustainability with a focus on the latest science and best practice surrounding the four Legacy 2030 ‘Planet’ topics that address carbon neutrality, water scarcity, sustainable sourcing and circular packaging.
- Providing an overview of the business case for sustainable corporate practices.
- Creating dynamic discussions around communicating sustainability, the UK Green Claims Code and the collaboration needed to reach net-zero.
- Delivering engaging content which enables all colleagues to confidently explain Asahi UK’s sustainability strategy, targets and current progress.
As a truly specialised sustainability consultancy, Simply Sustainable is uniquely positioned to support the learning and development on sustainability. The programme achieved a 65%+ attendance rate, with over 140 employees engaging across both modules, resulting in a total of over 450 learning hours. Through the delivery of these interactive training sessions; and pre- and post- course materials, Asahi UK achieved greater awareness and understanding of its sustainability strategy and targets across its workforce.
To find out how Simply Sustainable can help you educate your workforce Request a call back from one of our team.
Stirring stuff: changing the environment at Costa Express
We developed an exciting new environmental strategy for Costa Express, designed to drive engagement and behaviour change, while satisfying stakeholders.
Impacts and benefits
- ISO 14001 certification achieved within 12 months
- Upskilled, empowered workforce
- Sustainability goals aligned with business strategy
- Embedding of sustainable thinking in company ethos
A pleasure to work with Simply Sustainable, your immeasurable knowledge, drive and hard work led us through to achieve ISO 14001 certification and develop our environmental strategyNick Orrin Global Operations Director, Costa Express
Costa Express asked Simply Sustainable to develop an engagement and behaviour change strategy that would both improve the company’s environmental performance and meet stakeholder expectations.
Core to the strategy is environmental management system standard ISO 14001, which we supported in implementing throughout the process, receiving certification within 12 months.
We have continued to work with the company, and over the past four years we have: upskilled employees with face to face and online training; empowered leaders to consider how their teams can make better decisions, promote and implement good sustainable practice; and guided department heads in setting environmental performance targets which align with the business strategy.
Apart from the directly measurable changes, the most significant impact has been the embedding of sustainable thinking into the ethos of this fast paced, rapidly growing company.
Request a call-back
"*" indicates required fields